Looking for burgers in Austin? Hopdoddy Burger Bar is the place in Austin for craft burgers, fries, and shakes.
If you are looking for a burger in Austin, there’s a general consensus about where to go. It might not be “old school” but it’s quickly becoming a classic in our foodie city. We have a lot of options for burgers in Austin, ranging from fast food to restaurants that have burgers sharing the menu with steaks. Hopdoddy is a good in-between option for something faster, gourmet, and unique to Austin. The restaurant chain also has fantastic options for fries and shakes, which makes the whole dining experience better!
I won’t beat around the bush. Let’s talk about the main attraction. Their burgers are focused on natural ingredients. That means happy cows (humanely raised and free of antibiotics and hormones), hand-cut fries, and scratch-made, fresh-baked buns. Sure, that sounds good and all, but the burger combinations are what I think makes them shine.
Here are a few of my favorite burgers on the menu:
- The Classic Burger: Angus Beef, Red Leaf Lettuce, White Onion, Beefsteak Tomato, Sassy Sauce
- Primetime: Texas Akaushi Beef, Brie Cheese, Arugula, Caramelized Onions, Truffle Aioli, Steak Sauce, Beefsteak Tomato
- Llano Poblano: Angus Beef, Apple-Smoked Bacon, Tillamook Pepper Jack, Seared Poblanos, Chipotle Mayo, Red Leaf Lettuce, White Onion, Beefsteak Tomato
- Thunderbird: Chicken, Tillamook Pepper Jack, Apple-Smoked Bacon, Avocado, Seared Poblanos, Pico de Gallo, Chipotle Mayo, Red Leaf Lettuce
- Continental Club: Turkey, Provolone, Apple-Smoked Bacon, Arugula, Mayo, Basil Pesto, White Onion, Beefsteak Tomato on Whole Wheat
Go the extra mile and get an egg on your burger. Because #yolkporn. Yes, deciding on which burger to order is a lengthy ordeal, but with many winning combinations, everyone can find something he/she likes. Even vegetarians with La Bandita, the black bean-corn patty burger. To keep things fresh, they also have a special burger every month.
Next step: I hope you brought a friend because there’s no way you’re skipping out on French fries. You could get the hand-cut Kennebec potato fries but I like to go a step further and get the truffle fries. They have truffle. And parmesan cheese. And TRUFFLE. And they’re addicting and so Instagram-worthy. I also recommend the Green Chile Queso!
Milkshakes + Drinks
Last but not least, if I’m feeling extra feisty, I go for a shake. These shakes are no joke, and like the burgers, it’s hard to decide which to order. I always lean toward anything with Oreo for milkshakes and desserts, but your choices include:
- Vanilla Bean
- Oreo Cookie
- Caramel and Sea Salt
- Red Velvet Cake
- Stout Chocolate
- Nutella and Chocolate Pretzel
Feeling adventurous? Get a shot of Bailey’s in your shake. Not into milkshakes? They also have a wide selection of cocktails and craft beers to wet your whistle. I like their ginger lemonade.
Did somebody say happy hour? From 3-6:30 pm, you can order off their special $5 menu of drinks, burger, and fries.
Hopdoddy Burger Bar has a winning recipe. Since its first restaurant on South Congress in Austin, they’ve opened three more restaurants in the Austin area, seven in Texas (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio), one in Colorado, four in California, and two in Arizona. Yowza! They’ve got a one-way ticket to world domination. But we’ll always claim them as our own Austin-based and Austin-founded restaurant.
Austin-Area Locations and Hours
- South Congress (The OG): 1400 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704; Sun–Thurs 11am–10pm, Fri–Sat 11am–11pm
- North Austin: 2438A W Anderson Ln, Austin, TX 78757; 11 am – 10 pm
- Central Austin (at The Triangle): 4615 N Lamar Blvd STE 307, Austin, TX 78751; 11 am – 10 pm
- Round Rock: 2600 Hoppe Trail, Round Rock, TX 78681; 11 am – 10 pm
Have you been to Hopdoddy? What’s your go-to order?