An Austin bachelorette party or girls’ weekend in Austin is a fun and popular idea because of the variety of things to do here. In fact, it’s been rated the top city to have a bachelorette weekend. Having planned and attended a few bachelorette parties in Austin, I hope some of these suggestions will help make your planning easier and make your weekend more fun!
All (with exceptions of one or two) of these suggestions are within the city limits but you could also consider Fredericksburg for a focus on wine tours or there are outdoor activities 30 to 45 minutes outside of town such as Hamilton Pool.
To choose your hotel, think about what area of town you want to be in and how easy your transportation will be. On average, a one night stay in Austin will range from $200 to $300 for a 3- or 4-star hotel. Rates will depend on what’s going on in the city, so if an event like SXSW or ACL is going on, rates will skyrocket! Remember to factor in hotel parking costs and note their policies on number of people in a room.
- If you’d rather have everything in walking distance, try a downtown hotel like the Omni, which is two blocks from 6th Street and in the central downtown area. Embassy Suites is a good option for spacious and adjoining rooms. Westin Downtown and W Austin are hip hotels.
- If you want a more unique hotel, there are plenty of options but they’ll be pricier. Try Hotel San Jose, Hotel St. Cecilia, South Congress Hotel, Heywood Hotel, Hotel Ella, and Austin Motel.
- We have some hip hostels downtown. Check out Native, Firehouse Hostel, and HK Austin.
- Here’s a full list of Austin hotels to help you.
- Airbnb is a great option if you want a larger, private space. Austin’s average Airbnb price is $251. Your best bet for a more cost effective place to stay is staying away from downtown.
The fantastic thing about Austin is that there’s a little something for everyone. Whether your party’s interests are in the nightlife, outdoor life, or “just something new and different” life, you’ll have your choice of it here. Quick tip: check online deal sites like Groupon or Living Social for group deals and ask the company to honor the deal.
Below are some suggested activities and Austin companies that might be a good fit.
Here are some activities that are part feeling strong and sexy and part work-out. Even if it’s something you all haven’t done before, it’ll be fun to learn it together, aka bonding experiences. If you find a studio you like but don’t see class options that fit, it doesn’t hurt to reach out to see if they could do a private class for your group.
- Pole Dancing: Brass Ovaries or VAMPS Dance (check out what a class at VAMPS is like here!)
- Aerial Class: Sky Candy (check out what a class at Sky Candy is like here!) or Blue Lapis Light
- Pilates or Cyling Class: Kor180 or DEFINE body and mind
Several hotel pools will make you wonder if they were plucked from Las Vegas. Ok, maybe it’s not that crazy, but if you want a pool experience that includes drink and food options, check out these hotel pools. If you’re not staying at the hotel, the pools are available to the public during specific times and for a fee.
Nails & Spas & Blow-outs
Get pampered before a night out at a nail salon or spa. I’ve tried and loved my experiences with these places:
A unique bachelorette party idea is having a wig party at Coco Coquette! (<Click to see the post with photos and a video.) Your girls will each find their “spirit wig” and get her make-up done. Plan it before going out and the wigs add so much fun to your weekend!
Winery, Brewery and Distillery Tours
There’s no shortage of specialty alcohol in Austin, and we’re proud to have so many that are passionate about their craft. Unless you book a tour like ATXcursions or Austin Brew Bus, you’ll find each location has their own tasting rates and offers.
Consider planning your own brewery crawl – see brewery options and areas in my brewery crawl post.
A few popular places:
- Winery: The Infinite Monkey Theorem (Check out our wine tasting party here and get a free pack of cans!) or The Austin Winery
- Brewery: Hops & Grain, Adelbert’s or Jester King Brewery
- Cidery: Argus Cidery
- Distillery: Deep Eddy Vodka or Treaty Oak Distilling Co.
For all your foodie friends, culinary classes are a fun way to learn while you eat! Check out my post about Austin culinary classes to find the perfect one for your group. The list includes cooking classes, a cheese tasting, chocolate-making class, and more!
One thing Austinites rave about is the weather. There are several perfect months in the spring and fall, though you never know with some months. With plenty of trails and lakes in the area, outdoor activities are abundant.
- Segway Tour: SegCity or Gliding Revolution
- Boat Cruise: Capital Cruises or Lone Star Riverboat
- Paddle Boarding: SUP ATX or Rowing Dock
- Kayaking: Zilker Park Boat or Congress Avenue Kayaks Rentals
- Hike The Greenbelt
- Walk around Butler Trail (around Lady Bird Lake)
- Swim at Barton Springs Pool and picnic at Zilker Park
- Camping: McKinney Falls State Park is the closest to downtown Austin. If you want more options, here’s a great post about camping sites around Austin by Do512.
- HOPE Outside Gallery: FREE graffiti park to explore
Seeing a show is something a little different for a girls’ weekend. There are lots of fun ones to choose from in Austin.
- Esther’s Follies: located downtown on 5th Street, this place is always a fun time. The show, which changes periodically, features sketch comedy (mostly political), musical parody and magic!
- Cap City Comedy Club: located in north Austin, this place may be slightly out of the way if you’re staying downtown but you can always catch great stand-up sets here.
- Music Shows: There are plenty of music venues! Here are some favorites: Stubb’s, Cedar Street Courtyard, ACL Live at Moody Theater, Speakeasy, and Continental Club.
- Pete’s Dueling Piano Bar: Ah, yes, a bachelorette classic. When you’re with friends who love the classics like you do, you’ll have a great time here. Expect to sing loudly along to songs. There is a cover but the bride gets in free.
Dance the night away!
- Gloria’s: Love to salsa? Gloria’s restaurant on 6th Street transforms into a dance club on Fridays and Saturdays at 11pm. A DJ and free cover make this option enticing.
- Barbarella: Hip hop, 80s, and alternative music are all featured here, depending on the night.
- Broken Spoke: Want country dancing? About 15-20 minutes south of downtown, this honky tonk has been open since 1964. It’s an older crowd but fun with a group.
- The White Horse: Another country dancing spot but downtown.
- Downtown: Don’t want to make plans? You’ll find a variety of dance floors in bars from east 6th to west 6th. Pop in and if you don’t like the vibe, on to the next!
Speaking of dancing, your girls’ night out may include bar hopping and you know Austin is the place to do it. The main bar-hopping areas are: East 6th, Dirty 6th, West 6th, Warehouse District, and Rainey Street. Dirty 6th is what you’ve probably heard about in Austin. It’s lined with bars and the streets are closed on the weekends.
I have TONS of recommendations for food. Your best options depend on what cuisine you’re looking for and what area you will be staying in. Check out my full guide of my favorite restaurants, including brunch, in Austin.
What are your favorite girls’ weekend/bachelorette party ideas?